Saturday 7 September 2013

Healthy Candy Bars... say whaaaat?!

Remember me telling you about Gwyneth Paltrow's cook book? Well I had another little experimentation with it the other day with my best friend Carlotta, remember her from a day out to Kew Gardens?

Well having been on holiday for a couple of weeks I decided it was probably time to start being healthy again and with a massive craving for something sweet this was not proving to be particularly easy, that was until I stumbled across this little beauty of a recipe, for healthy candy bars. A healthy candy bar?! Surely that kind of treat is too good to be true you may be thinking. But I assure you it is, and look no further than this little list of ingredients;



1 1/2 cups of raw cashews
1 1/2 cups of pitted and chopped dates
1/2 almond butter
1/2 maple syrup / honey
1/2 coconut flour
1/2 unsweetened shredded coconut
1 1/2 cups of dark chocolate chips / 1 1/2 bars dark chocolate
1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil (for melting chocolate)

Okay there are quite a few ingredients but it makes loads of candy bars that will last you a lifetime! 







Okay that was a lie, they won't last you a lifetime because if you're anything like me you'll want to eat them all in one sitting. 

You'll need a food processor such as a Magi mix to grind up the cashew's. 




Then add all the other ingredients and mix until it's a sticky ball of dough and looks something like this.





Then make sure you've lined a baking tin with parchment paper and press the mixture into it until it's flat.


I realised after cutting the circular one there was too much mixture so had to change tins and do it all over again!


Have the dark chocolate ready melted (with a little bit of coconut oil) and pour evenly over the mixture. 




Obviously allow time for licking the bowl. 



Then if you're impatient like me put in the freezer until the chocolate's set, which should take around an hour. Otherwise putting it in the fridge is just as good.

Cut up the candy bar block.


Now, enjoy the healthy sugary deliciousness! 



Bet you it tastes just as good as a fudge bar.

3 comments:

  1. And a day of not knowing what to do just got filled with purpose :) Making these shall be my occupation for the day. Looks great.

    x
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I'm such a chocoholic but always give myself a hard time about being unhealthy. I legit HAVE to try these. Was it just as good as a normal fudge bar?

    x leah symonne x

    itsleli.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://talkwithc.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete